Monday, December 10, 2012

Holiday Shake Taste #2: Hires Big H Peppermint Shake

I decided to step it up a bit in the shake category and headed to Hires Big H off of 700 East to try their peppermint shake. Since it was Saturday, Gabe came along and we had a full grease-laden lunch to go along with my shake. Gabe got house-made root beer which was also quite tasty. 

Hires Big H was founded in 1959 by a local grocer, Don Hale as a hamburger drive-in. You can still get car service, but self-imposed rules required that I consume the shake inside. Besides, it had started to snow and the restaurant became even more inviting.

I ordered the peppermint shake. This is basically a vanilla shake with crushed up pieces of starlight mints mixed in. Only after our waitress left did I see in small print on the table advertisement saying I could add Oreo cookies to make a peppermint cookie shake. I might have to go back.

Unlike Taste #1, this shake contained real hand-scooped ice cream and milk. Peppermint pieces were blended in using a milkshake mixer typically found at diners. It was reassuring to hear the blending sound. When the shake arrived, I knew I would not be disappointed.

Since Hires Big H is not a national chain, nutritional information for this shake was not available but I am quite sure it was not low calorie.

Shake color: pink
Shake consistency: thick, smooth, and creamy with small bits of mint throughout. Some pockets of frozen milk. Whipped cream and peppermint bits on top

Final Impression: This shake was very tasty. The pink coloring was pretty bright, but I'll just consider that to be festive. I would return specifically to get another shake at Hires Big H. And probably the onion rings as well because they also looked fabulous.

1 comment:

  1. Amazing post, Moreover if you want to experience new flavors in shakes then check out the starbucks price list

    ReplyDelete